DSAs are grants to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability or ongoing health condition. They help disabled people to study in higher education on an equal basis with other students.

Either choose a university where you can easily walk to the campus from the halls or choose one where the halls are on the campus so walking to lectures is not far.

When applying for student accommodation, they usually ask if you have any special requirements for your room, and if you specify that you have a physiotherapy bed, they will make special allowances for you to get a slightly bigger room to accommodate this.

You can also specify if there is no lift in the halls, that you need a ground floor room so when you get ill, you never have to go too far.

When it comes to hospitals, it is helpful to have a consultant or a nurse as a point of call if you get sick, but if you apply for the Disabled Student’s Allowance, they give you help to travel home to see your regular consultant.

This is just helpful in keeping your treatment consistent and more convenient rather than having to start afresh in a new clinic where they may not be familiar with the condition.

To find out more about the disabled students allowance click on this link: Education and Training Allowances

Case Study

Keeping ahead of COVID-19

Covid-19 is very unsettling for all of our PCD community – we will be regularly updating this page with latest information and ideas on how to keep yourselves entertained whilst self-isolating.