It is important that before you travel with PCD that you have adequate travel insurance.
It is important that you fill in the medical form in detail so that there is no risk of the company not reimbursing a potential claim. They also need to check that the policy does not exclude pre-existing illness.
Everyone needs a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in order to receive free emergency care in EU countries. Information is available by clicking this link www.dh.gov.uk/travellers
The following companies offer holiday insurance for people with pre-existing conditions:
- All Clear Travel 08712 088 579 www.allcleartravel.co.uk
- Free Spirit 0845 230 5000 www.freespirittravelinsurance.com
- Citybond Suretravel 0870 444 6431
- www.atlasdirect.net 0870 811 1700
Some handy hints on getting insurance:
- You must telephone the medical pre screening line to ensure that you are covered – failure to do this might result in your insurance being invalid when trying to make a claim.
- They may ask you what the condition is and you will be told that they don’t have P.C.D. on their systems! Don’t panic – just tell them that another name for it is Karteneger’s Syndrome and they will then be able to ask you relevant questions. If you tell them that the treatment is similar to Cystic Fibrosis you will struggle to get cover at a reasonable price.
- Don’t forget to ring the medical screening line again before you travel if circumstances have changed since the time you first got cover
- It is unlikely if you take the correct medication with you that you will have an emergency situation because of your PCD – however, if you end up in hospital because of an accident such as breaking your arm you may not be covered by the insurance if you haven’t told them about PCD.